Re: GRUB "Error 18" booting lenny

Vwaju wrote:
I have a Dell Dimension 4100 and brand spanking new 250 GB 1" ATA/100
8MB 16MB 7200RP HDD.  The 4100 is from 2001, and the BIOS version
listed in setup is A06.

I installed lenny.  At "Software Selection" I chose "Mail Server".
When the installation was completed, and I rebooted.

Then I decided to change the software selection.  It was so easy the
first time, I just reinstalled and this time I chose:

	Web server
	DNS server
	File server
	Mail server
	SQL database

However, this time when I rebooted I got a GRUB error:

GRUB Loading stage 1.5
GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 18
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As far as I can see, the GRUB manual
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Troubleshooting.html#Troubleshooting
doesn't document this error.

The error has been addressed in Linux Forums:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/debian-linux-help/52256-first-time-trying-linux-grub-error-18-a.html

Several contributors thought that Error 18 had something to do with a
mismatch between BIOS and the HDD (hard disk too big).  Suggestions
included a smaller partition, smaller HDD, and upgrading the BIOS.  I
suppose I could try reinstalling on a smaller partition.  What do you
think?

However, the correspondence between Geoff http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1236800523
and  C.K. http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1236806548
strongly suggests that trying to update the BIOS on a Dell mother
board is a losing proposition.

Jason Mills
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_thread/thread/683a22631c8450bd/9ced896ba395445c?lnk=gst&q=%22Error+18%22#9ced896ba395445c
tried to create a smaller boot partition, but was not successful.

I suppose I could try yet another new (smaller) HDD, but without some
documentation I would just be trial and error, which could take a
while.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Troubleshooting.html#Troubleshooting

says:

18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for (E)IDE disks on older machines or larger than 8GB in general).

Seems that the linuxforums hit was right.

Hugo