Re: PXE boot debian-installer

In <[🔎] 871vrtasei.fsf@klein.localdomain>, Alok G. Singh wrote:
>The DHCP server running on the router assigns addresses in the
>192.168.1.0/24 subnet. I have setup another DHCP server to respond to
>PXE in the same subnet. Now, how do I make sure the two DHCP servers
>play nice together ? That is, the router's DHCP server should be used
>unless DHCPREQUEST is from a PXE client.

I'm not sure you can.  The first step would be to figure out what, if
anything, is in the DHCPREQUEST packet that would indicate the sender is a
"PXE client".  Then, configure one server to not respond to those requests and
one to only respond to those requests.

I don't think there is, strictly speaking, a difference.  But, a DHCP client
on a booted system will just ignore all the netboot information in the
response.  So, generally you just run one DHCP server that gives everyone the
netboot information and there's little downside.

You also might be able to come up with a heuristic for your network.  Here PXE
requests don't request a hostname, but "normal" requests do.