Re: HOWTO run xorg without hal

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:12:25AM -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 08:51, Dirk <noisyb@gmx.net> wrote:
> > John Hasler wrote:

[snip]

> Actually, hal is a rather useful piece of technology. The only real problem with
> hal is that it could use a little more attention and some cleanup.
> Certainly the
> idea of hal is sound. Luckily, hal is getting the cleanup it needs, in the sense
> that it is turning into/being replaced by DeviceKit.
>
> I believe the primary hal author works for Red Hat, some of the employers
> of Xorg people include Intel, Novell, Red Hat and Tungsten Graphics (now
> owned by VMWare). I don't know who the Debian xorg maintainers work for;
> since this is Debian there is a good possibility that their day jobs are
> unrelated to Xorg.
>
> Anyway, X can make very good use of some of the services hal provides,
> and there is no sensein Xorg recreating that functionality when it  already
> exists.
>
> I have to say, though, it worries me a bit that someone could have such
> vitriolic hatred towards a piece of software...

This sounds like the original threads about the way selinux has made its
way into debian as well.

I for one originally had these feels about hal (and selinux), but I
think this is more from the fact that I follow unstable and that the
pain involved is from a) lack of knowledge of the new product ie HAl b)
from that bad initial setup of packages ie HAL.  But this is part of the
process of getting a good package starting some where and then refining
so that it works :)

[ot] my biggest pain about hal is how to config it to not automatically
load up my spare drives and ups and and [/ot]

--
"I hope we get to the bottom of the answer. It's what I'm interested to know."

	- George W. Bush
04/26/2000
as quoted by AP