Re: how can i turn /dev/null into an MTA?

> i don't want an MTA running on a system... but many programs require it as
> dependency to spam me with their stuff (which should belong into just a log
> file (IMO))...

What are those "many programs"?  On my Debian desktop, I happen to like
to have an MTA running (exclusively for outgoing email), but I just
tried "aptitude remove postfix" and postfix was removed without
complaining that other packages needed it.

Probably the problem you're seeing is just a packaging bug.
Moreover having to run a cron job to remove `exim4' seems to point to
a real problem somewhere.

        Stefan