Re: massive copy

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:14:43AM +0200, Frank Bonnet wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have to copy around 250 Gb from a server to a Netapp NFS server
> and I wonder what would be faster ?
>
> first solution
>
> cp -pr * /mnt/nfs/dir/
>
> second solution ( 26 cp processes running in // )
>

> for i in a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
> do
> cp -pr $i* /mnt/nfs/dir/ &
> done

depends!

I moved 1.6T of multimedia files from a server with 8x 1T raid5 to
another 10x1T raid6 over 1G eth.

I tried rsync over ssh, cp over nfs, nfs via tcp and nfs via udp and then rsync
over nfs

On the new server I mounted the old data via nfs (udp,ro) and then
started about 3-4 rsync's for each rsync I would see an incermental
increase in through put (checking network and iostat ).

another thing you can look at is blockdev read ahead for each device as
well.

--
"Drug therapies are replacing a lot of medicines as we used to know it."

	- George W. Bush
10/18/2000
St. Louis, MO
during the third presidential debate