Re: Aptitude versus Update-manager

On Mon,13.Apr.09, 23:53:21, Marcelo Laia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I decided upgrade my Latitude D630 to unstable from testing.
>
> First, I have googled and having found that the good way was to set
> the Pin-Priority in /etc/apt/preferences, and set /etc/apt/apt.conf to
> unstable, and change sources.list, like this:
>
> :~$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 600
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 650
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 700
> :~$
> :~$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
> APT::Default-Release "unstable";

I think you are overdoing it. If you have all three version in
sources.list (which you do) apt will always install the newest version
possible. For running pure unstable you don't really need any pinning.

> There are mistakes in my configuration? What do you suggest me to get
> the latest versions of packages without hard problems?

Run lenny (stable) and install new packages only from backports.org.
Follow the instructions from there. This is a bit late now, because you
already upgraded to unstable :/

You shouldn't be running unstable if you don't know how to solve issues
like this. Right now probably the best course of action would be to set

APT::Default-Release "testing";

and stick with that. Testing is not soooo much behind unstable and
should be a bit more usable.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)