Re: what does "kept back" mean when do "apt-get upgrade"?

2009/4/14 David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com>:
> 2009/4/13 明覺 <shi.minjue@gmail.com>:
>
>> if i do the dist-upgrade or full-upgrade to force upgrade these
>> packages, then i may break the dependency of some other packages,
>> which depend on the old versions, right? thanks.
>
> It is possible to have some packages that depend on an old version of
> a particular package but still have new packages that depend on the
> new verson of a package. Sometimes that happens when there is a
> transition. Often, one can just wait to have the problems resolve
> itself and then the held back packages get fixed.
So it means if there are 2 versions for a same package exist
concurrently, and the new version requires other new packages
installed, then the new version won't be installed, say it "kept
back". Only after the old version is removed, and only one version of
the "kept back" package exisits, then the new version will be
installed and won't be "kept back" any more, right? thanks.

--
My platform is debian-sid gnome mozilla eclipse monodevelop blender.