Re: xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers (in sid)

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:56, niclas wahlgren
<niclas.wahlgren@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kelly Clowers wrote:
>
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 22:45, niclas w <niclaswmail@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> 'xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers'
> error message when starting amarik.
> No sound when using amarok(or any other player).
> But I hear the startup and shutdown jingle...
>
> Any ideas whats wrong or how to find whats wrong?
>
> Using SID.
>

> Do you use PulseAudio or ALSA or what?
>
> If you invoke mplayer on a sound file from the command line,
> does it work and what does it say about the audio driver? It
> will be something like:
> AO: [pulse]
> or
> AO: [alsa]
>

> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers
>

> I am 'trying' to use ALSA.
>
> Result of mplayer and lsof:

<snip>

So, you are using KDE 3, right? I suspect the problem is arts, it
usually was, when I was running KDE. Somewhere in the KDE
sound settings there are options to use alsa directly and not
start the kde sound server (arts). I would try setting it that way
and then restarting, and see if things work.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers