Re: checking boot partition with fsck

Vwaju wrote:
> Thanks to Lisi and Sven for advising me on the use of fsck to check
> the boot partition.  (I believe the –f option to fsck is *not*
> documented on the man page!)
>
> After boot failure, I booted debian-live-500-i386-rescue.iso, and ran
> fsck on the boot partition:
>
> use@debian:~$ sudo -i
> debian:~# fsck –f /dev/hda1
> fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
> e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Pass 2: Checking directory structure
> Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
> Pass 4: Checking reference counts
> Pass 5: Checking group summary information
> /: 40679/2338336 files (0.5% non-contiguous), 251828/4674907 blocks
>
> I don't know how to interpret this output.  Does it indicate a problem
> with the boot partition?

No, the filesystem is fine. If you could mount it, that's another sign
that it's not a matter of filesystem corruption.

> Query:  What other problems would I look for, and what tools would I
> use?

You should say _why_ you cannot boot. Does GRUB or LILO load? What
messages are shown?

And please do not start threads unnecessarily. Just reply to the
appropriate messages with the new information.

--
Look at it this way: Your wife's spending $280 a month on meditation lessons to
forget $26,000 of college education. And you're still drinking ordinary scotch?

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br