Re: xorg not working after synaptic upgrade (Lenny stable)

> I hope that this will work for you, because it worked for me this a.m. when
> I updated.  The stock kernel image has been updated (2.6.26-2-686 for me).
> The recipe below worked for me.  Good luck:
>
> 1. download the latest nVidia driver from the nVidia site
> 2. back up your xorg.conf file for safe keeping
> 3. stop the *dm (for me this is gdm, so therefore: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm
> stop)
> 4. download the necessary linux header file: sudo apt-get install
> linux-headers-`uname -r`
> 5. sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-<version>-pkg1.run
> 6. don't allow the installer to download a new kernel, allow it to compile,
> don't allow it to abort (i.e. accept that the gcc version may be dissimilar)
> and allow nvidia to update the xorg.conf file
> 7. sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start (replace gdm with kdm if appropriate)
>
> Your X should come back into action.

Thanks for showing how to do it in those cases where the user didn't
use the packages provided by the Debian repositories. Luckily in my
case I used the simpler method and only needed to replace a package as
I mentioned previously in this thread. But I'll save your step-by-step
instruction in case I some day encounter a Debian machine that isn't
using the Debian prebuilt nvidia proprietary binary blob packages.

--
Regards,

Thomas Anderson
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur"