Re: new KDE (4.2) in Unstable, how's your experience?

* Amit Uttamchandani <amit.uttam@gmail.com> [2009 Apr 13 00:56 -0500]:
> On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 11:46:30 -0400
> "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Any other experiences worth sharing?
> >

> Been using KDE4.2 from experimental for a while and you're right it
> doesn't seem as fast as KDE3. Turning off composite made things a lot
> faster. Dolphin and okular are awesome. Kate now has vim mode so that's
> also interesting...

Since my first run compositing has been disabled which makes KDE4 run
quite quickly.  So far no real speed difference noted.

I am using it on a Thinkpad T41 which has a Radeon Mobility M7 graphics
chipset and with the recent Xorg upgrade 3D performance has been
severely degraded.  Any 3D Xscreensaver modules are now painfully slow
and jerky whereas they were quite smooth before the latest upgrade.

KDM seems to be broken in some way.  On boot it fails and I wind up
running KDE via the `startx' command.  I've managed to get it running
manually a couple of times but then it will fail upon logout.

Network-mangler seems to relish dropping my wireless connection after
some period of time, perhaps about 12 hours.  I found that now that I'm
starting X manually that logging out of KDE4 which shuts down X and
starting it manually again allowed network-mangler to restablish a
connection.  Otherwise a reconnection attempt fails.

I cannot figure out how to limit the window icons from only the active
workspace on the panel.  By default all windows are shown which makes
it confusing.  Alt-Tab at least is limited to the active window,

There are definitely some kinks that will get ironed out before Squeeze
is released.  Overall I think things have gone well considering the
major changes that have taken place.

- Nate >>