Lenny updates broke Broadcom 4328 wireless

On a fresh Lenny install I finally made my wireless work (it's a BCM4328 chip
on a HP Compaq 6715b laptop) according to
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=30648&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=2782df86cc404fde6d75b631594c3053
As soon as internet connection was available (I have no wired access at all)
Lenny proposed to download a bunch of updates. I allowed it to do that. It was
several (tens of) megabytes of stuff. Some time after that I rebooted the
machine only to find wireless wasn't working anymore. Not under the 2.6.26-1,
not under the newly installed 2.6.26-2 kernel. I followed the above
instructions for the new kernel too and compiled the wireless driver - to no
avail. Now I have no connectivity under any of the kernels. Does anybody have
a clue as to which of the updates might be responsible for that? And will
there be a new update available any time soon which will fix that?

The funny thing is, iwconfig and iwlist commands can "see" my router, but
there is still no connection to the internet or to other machines on my LAN,
and the System/Settings/Network applet states it "doesn't recognize my system"
and then offers me a list of distros to choose from. I select Debian Lenny,
but that doesn't change anything: I still can't browse the internet or LAN or
check for updates.

What gives?

--
Registered Linux User 481801 and proud of it