Re: Rsync Permissions Issue

On Apr 12, 2009, at 12:20 PM, H.S. wrote:

Hal Vaughan wrote:
I'm trying to use rsync to back up from one computer to another.
Recently I had used NIS so all my systems had the same user on them so there was never a permission issue. Now I'm trying to back up from my
iMac to my Debian server.  I can't put the iMac on NIS (or probably
could, but it would NOT be fun to set up, I'm sure).

In the past I could use:

rsync -av server::Writing /data/Writing

And all my writing would be backed up from the local /data/writing to
the server.  Now that I'm not using NIS, I use:

rsync -av me@server::Writing /data/Writing

I use rsync through SSH without any problems. If you have SSH server
running on the remote machine, try:
$> rsync -ave ssh me@server:Writing /data/Writing

where "me" is your username at server machine.

I missed something here. When I do this, it connects and instead of using the module I specify, it copies the files to my home (or "me's" home) directory on that computer.

Maybe it's another obvious point, but I don't see a way to use a single colon and have it write to a module I specify instead of to a directory. Is that possible -- to get it to write to an rsync module instead of a directory while using ssh?

Thanks!

Hal