Re: Lenny overheating, preventing installation

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:58:35 -0400
"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@vianet.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 03:46:31PM +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> > Dne sobota 11 april 2009 ob 15:22:38 je Douglas A. Tutty napisal(a):
> > > On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 02:26:30PM +0200, Aleksa ??u??uli?? wrote:
>
> > I agree ... to a point. Namely, I've never managed to overheat the
> > unit by just _using_ the CPU. It exclusively happens:
> >
> > 1) during a Debian Lenny installation
> > 2) during a certain type of system lock-up which forces both the
> > CPU frequency and its usage to go to 100%.
> >
> > I'd compare (if I may) the situation with a car having, say, a
> > range of 0 to 7000 RPM, of which only 2000 to 5000 is actually the
> > "working range". Now, forcing the car in a very low gear and
> > running it at a constant 7000 RPM, how many minutes until the
> > engine overheats? And, more importantly: how _stupid_ should one be
> > to actually try doing this at home? It's, in my opinion, what's
> > happening here: some runaway process or OS flaw simply ramps up the
> > CPU to a regime that wasn't intended to be used for a prolonged
> > time in the first place. In normal usage, leaving a CPU running at
> > 100% usage is a rare occurence (I'm not talking about CPU frequency
> > here, I'm talking about CPU usage - 100% meaning no idle cycles
> > whatsoever over several minutes or even hours!).
>
> What about a big compile?  Retouching a movie?

I had similar issues w/FreeBSD about 2 years ago. Under compiles or
system updates my AMD desktop would freeze up do to over heating.

My quick fix at the time was to purchase a 20.00 box fan, remove the PC
case, and set the fan right against the PC. Worked like a charm but
thankfully it soon became time to upgrade hardware (and OS, btw).

Since that time, I never went back to an AMD proc (nor FreeBSD for that
matter).

--
Best regards,

Chris