Re: Sid update would like to remove most xorg packages and drivers

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:51:47 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Friday 10 April 2009 08:09:12 Sven Joachim wrote:
> > On 2009-04-10 01:00 +0200, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> > > May I ask how you managed that superscript 1 after the word problem?
> >
> > With a German keyboard layout, it's on AltGr-1 (only under X).  Don't
> > know about other keyboard layouts.
>
> Thanks, Sven.  A most useful piece of information. :-)  It works here on a UK
> keyboard layout.

If your keyboard layout does not produce the superscript numbers via
AltGr then you have the option to define a "Multi_key" which allows you
to "compose" characters from sequences of key presses. This gives access
to many more characters then any one keyboard layout provides directly.
The superscript numbers 0-9 are produced by pressing the Multi_key, then
"^" and then the number that you want (release each key before pressing
the next one in the sequence).

The Multi_key is set up by adding, e.g., "compose:rwin" to your
XkbOptions in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. This would make the right Windows key
the compose key; for other possibilities see the output of:

grep -i compose /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst

If you want to try out the Multi_key behavior without changing your Xorg
configuration then you can add the option while X is running like this:

setxkbmap -option compose:rwin

A comprehensive list of compose sequences can be found in

/usr/share/X11/locale/$LANG/Compose

where $LANG is your locale, e.g. en_US.UTF-8.

(If I encounter a character whose compose sequence I do not know then I
 simply copy it into a unicode-capable terminal and build a grep search
 through that file around it.)

          Florian   |