Re: new wireless card

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 23:14, steef <debian.linux@home.nl> wrote:

> hello to  you all out there,
>
> my asus_wireless ethernetcard, chip rt2500 (ralink), is of no use any more.

Why not? As far as I can see, rt2500 are pretty well supported in
modern kernels.
Or do you mean the hardware failed?

> please can somebody tell me which is the best lenny_compatible wireles
> ethernet card nowadays?

http://linuxwireless.org is the place to check device compatibility.

Personally, I am a big fan of anything with an atheros chip.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 01:14, Paul Richards <paul.richards@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can recommend that you don't get a Ralink RT2561.  I have one, and
> while it works fine it needs binary drivers[1]. :(  Unfortunately I
> didn't realise this at the time I bought.
>

> 1: http://wiki.debian.org/rt61pci

I don't see anything about binary drivers there, just the usual firmware
issues. Lots of devices need loadable firmware that is not Free. It is
a very hard issue that the community is really just beginning to tackle -
some don't even think it is an issue that needs to be worried about!

It is worth noting though, that the Atheros ath5k and ath9k drivers are
among the few WiFi drivers that do not need firmware (or a closed
hal, as the madwifi driver did)

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers