Re: More Problems configuring sound card with alsa on debian

On Thursday 09 April 2009 22:30, Dancing Fingers wrote:
> On Apr 8, 12:00 pm, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m9...@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
>
> Many thanks Nigel for your eply.
>
> > On Wednesday 08 April 2009 14:56, Dancing Fingers wrote:
> > > Hi guys,
> > > I'm also having an ALSA problem.  I put a SoundBlaster card in my
> > > Lenny box.  If I run alsaconf every time I boot and everything works
> > > fine.   What I don't understand is why the system resets the conf
> > > files every time it boots?
> > > Thanks.
> > > Chris
> >
> > Hi Chris.
> >
> > I assume there is an onboard soundcard on the machine as well. What may
> > be happening when you boot up is that both soundcards are being detected,
> > and the onboard soundcard is being set as card0, and the audigy one as
> > card1. Most audio apps use card0 as default, so you may find that
> > plugging the speakers into the onboard soundcard (if there is one)
> > produces sound.
> >
> > To check this out, reboot, then run the following command before running
> > alsaconf, and post the results.
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/cards
>
> This is what I get:
>  0 [V8235          ]: VIA8233 - VIA 8235
>                       VIA 8235 with CMI9761A+ at 0xd800, irq 22
>
> > Then run alsaconf, and set up the audigy card, then run the command above
> > again, and post the results.
> >
> > If what I say above is the case, and you want the audigy soundblaster to
> > be set as card0 (the default), you can add a couple of lines to the
> > bottom of: to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
> >
> > options snd-emu10k1 index=0
> > options snd-???? index=1
>
> What I tried was:
>
> options snd-emu10k1 index=0
> options snd-V8235 index=1

Here you want the following options lines.

options snd-emu10k1 index=0
options snd-via82xx index=1

Change your current options lines in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base to those above,
then reboot, and post the output of, cat /proc/asound/cards.

The sounds may now be working, but you may have to access alsamixer on the CLI
(KDE's Konsole, or Gnomes Terminal), to see if some controls are muted, and
unmute them. The M key does the mute/unmute. On my Audigy2 soundblaster card,
controls, "Master", "PCM", "Front", need their sliders pushed up to get sound
output. Check also the "Audigy A" control. Mine needs to be muted to get
analog output, and sounds. That is on Lenny.

Let's get the sounds working, eh!!

Nigel.