skype video crashing skype

Good day,

I am running lenny i386/x86 32bit, and have the official skype repo in my sources.list.
And all recent updates.

Now, when i try and use my webcam in skype, even just the preview in skype's preferences, it crashes and kills not just skype, but xorg and the whole of debian it
seems, and the only way to get back seems to be to do a hard-reset via power button,

now if i leave the video totally alone, and dont touch it, with it enabled, it runs fine, ie the sound,

this has confused me abit, and i have no idea why it happening,

i would appreciate any ideas,

this is my first time posting to you,
so if i top or bottom post in reply, i apologize,

Thanks

Philip