Re: Problem configuring sound card with alsa on debian

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 08:58:25 +0530
Divick Kishore <divick.kishore@gmail.com> wrote:

> > You are not doing anything wrong; the driver was removed from the Debian
> > > kernels. Here are the relevant snippets from the changelog:
> > >
> > > linux-2.6 (2.6.23-1) unstable; urgency=low
> > >
> > >   * Remove binary only firmwares for:
> > >     - Cirrus Logic (Sound Fusion) CS4280/CS461x/CS462x/CS463x
> > >
> > >   * Disable now broken drivers:
> > >     - Cirrus Logic (Sound Fusion) CS4280/CS461x/CS462x/CS463x
> > >
> > > Fri, 30 Nov 2007
> >
> > Just to state the obvious, in case the OP doesn't realize it: the
> > solution, if your principles allow it, is to get the vanilla sources
> > from upstream and build your own kernel.
> >

> By upstream you mean kernels older than 2.6.23-1? Could you please point me
> in the right direction to build custom kernel with support for these
> drivers?

No, by upstream I mean a kernel downloaded directly from kernel.org.
What Florian has pointed out is that the necessary driver has been
removed by *Debian* devs from the kernels that *Debian* ships, due to
Debian's specific policies, but upstream kernels still contain them.

Celejar