Re: Debian's glacial movement--a rant

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:23:00 -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

[...]

> I'm experiencing a bug in Gnucash that appeared a couple of days ago on
> my system that makes Gnucash completely unusable for me.  I turned in a
> bug report on Friday, checked on it yesterday, and by today the bug had
> been blocked from being displayed.  It could be found by searching
> Debian's bug tracker, but only if you know the bug id number.   If you
> just search for bugs in Gnucash the bug does not appear to exist.

How are can we make sense of your problem without the bug number? Is
this supposed to be some kind of test to see if the bug can really not
be found? OK, I will play: My guess is that you are talking about bug
#522458 (which is listed in the "Forwarded bugs - Important bugs"
section). Do I win anything?

> The bug was closed, and blocked, because it's been fixed upstream in
> version 2.2.9 which was released by Gnucash in February of this year.

That is the normal procedure as far as I understand it.

> Great.   The bug has been fixed.   Why it needed to be hidden from being
> displayed is puzzler for me, but that's the way it is.

Or maybe it isn't.

> Now the bad news.
>
> Since Gnucash in both Sid and Sqeeze is now at version 2.2.6 I only have
> to wait until Debian works through versions 2.2.7 and 2.2.8 before
> Gnucash in Debian finally becomes usable for me again in version 2.2.9.

I think the maintainer will skip the intermittent versions and move
right to 2.2.9 as soon as possible. However, he might have to wait until
all of gnucash's dependencies are at sufficiently new versions for the
new package to be built.

> As Sid is "only" 9 months behind Gnucash's release schedule at this point
> I guess the fact that all my business records for the last couple of
> years are in Gnucash means I'll be able to start doing my business
> accounting again sometime after the first of next year, at a minimum, if
> I wait for Debian....

You cannot rely on unstable working all the time. It works very well for
most of its packages most of the time, but there are no guarantees.
Furthermore, you have to be able to accommodate the fact that it gets
outdated during a release freeze.

You can try to build the new version yourself, you can build 2.2.6 from
source and apply the upstream patch, you can install another
distribution with 2.2.9 in a chroot or virtual machine for the time
being, etc.

          Florian   |