Re: updating with aptitude

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:30:43 +0530, Abhishek Amberkar[ अभिषेक]
posted:

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 6:02 PM, orange <orange47@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It seems that apt(itude) has stopped updating my (testing) Debian
>> system. I press 'u', and then 'U' but nothing is marked for update (and
>> it has been like that for several days now). Is there a way to verify
>> that the system is up-to-date (for sure)?
>>

> $ sudo aptitude update
> $ sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

These commands would only work if the sys admin has added orange's
username to the sudoers. That is not standard for a Debian default
installation. Are you perhaps thinking about Ubuntu or one of the
derivatives?

Orange,
Did your lines wrap when you posted?

Something similar to these are probably what you want, since release Lenny
(stable) is only getting security upgrades, not as many changes as just
before release when bugs were being fixed, that's always the way it
works.

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib
deb ftp://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ lenny contrib main