Re: problem with chmod

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

If I use the format above, no error is returned; it just doesn't do
anything.

"
chmod 777 /data

You're changing the permissions of the directory...

bretnewworkstation:~# ls -l /data
total 16
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2009-04-02 17:34 lost+found

... but looking at the contents of the directory. To check the
permissions on /data itself, try

ls -l -d /data

"
bretnewworkstation:~# ls -l -d /data
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 2009-04-02 17:34 /data
"

To chmod what's inside the directory, you can use the -R option, but
since it's empty, there's no need to do that.

Anyway, what happens if you try to write something under /data?

"
bretnewworkstation:~# ls -l /data
total 780
-rw-r--r-- 1 bret bret 382652 2009-04-03 00:03 *.*
drwxr-xr-x 5 bret bret   4096 2009-02-28 10:35 Downloads
drwx------ 2 root root  16384 2009-04-02 17:34 lost+found
-rw-r--r-- 1 bret bret 382652 2009-04-03 00:04 WonkyAcerWebPage_Iceape.jpg
bretnewworkstation:~# du -sh /data
2.4G    /data
"

Something, of all of the actions attempted, has worked.

Which, I do not know.

The File Browser window had been left open, through all of the attempts to change the protections, and the padlock icon at the data entry in the filesystem tree, had remained, as had the permissions in the Properties window for the /data listing. When I refreshed the File Browser window, after having run the "ls -l -d /data" command, the padlock icon disappeared, and the permissions showed the partition to be writable, and so I copied the data across to that partition; first a single file, and then, a directory (Downloads).

So, thank you to everyone for your help, and, it is probable that my "It didn't work" responses, were completely wrong, so, unfortunately, I do not know what did work, and what did not work.

I apologise for the time that I would have caused people to waste, through my not using the correct ls command.

--
I am a jelly donut.  I am a jelly donut.

And that about says how intelligent I feel.
:|

--
Bret Busby
Armadale