Re: problem with apt

Long Wind <longwind2009@gmail.com> writes:
> When apt-get installs a package
> it will install packages that the package depends
> When I remove the package, the depended packages are not removed.
>
> Is there a command (or a way) to remove the depended packages?

Use Aptitude.  When Aptitude installs a package, the dependencies are
marked as automatically installed, and it uninstalls
automatically-installed packages when everything that depends on them is
removed.

To start using this feature, however, you need to go through and mark
lots of things as automatically installed (the M key in Aptitude's
console interface) so that it can remove them as necessary.  I typically
do this to everything in lib and libdevel, and also look through the
program sections for things that I don't directly use and know are not
necessary for core system functionality.

Do be careful, though, that you don't let it remove important things
that you use :).

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.