Re: firmware-linux

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue,31.Mar.09, 11:19:37, tyler wrote:
>>
>> What I want to know is what kinds of problems I might experience when I
>> move to a 'free' kernel?
>
> I'm guessing that the devices which need that firmware will just stop
> working. If that particular device is your HDD interface than yes, your
> computer might stop working.
>
> Did you look at the package description carefully? AFAICT it contains
> a full list of removed firmwares. If you don't recognize them then you
> could just keep an older kernel around.

I don't know enough about what the listed firmware does, or how it might
relate to my hardware, to interpret the list. If the problems are all of
the 'hardware doesn't work' variety that's easily managed by keeping a
old kernel installed as a backup. I'm more curious/concerned if it could
also lead to the more insidious 'X crashes without warning, no obvious
reason' type problem.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
The purpose of models is not to fit the data but to sharpen the
questions.                             --Samuel Karlin