Problems with some web sites (tuning?)

I have been having access problems with some web sites for quite a
while now, with wikipedia being one of the worst.  I can access the
web site, but articles often freeze, especially large ones.  It will
sometimes work for small articles, but large articles will almost
never completely load, so it is largely useless.  Is there some
network tuning that can be done to improve the situation?

The following are the networking settings I already have in
/etc/sysctl.conf, but I don't remember what all are for:

  net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
  net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
  net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
  net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 0
  net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 0
  net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0
  net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all = 1
  net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 0
  net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 8192 65536
  net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 8192 65536

This is using ppp over a dialup link, if that makes a difference.
Thanks for any ideas.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org