Re: Suspending and resuming compile process

On 2009-03-25 19:58 +0100, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> I have a fairly old laptop (500MHz G4) and I tend to compile a lot of
> applications from source. Most of time it doesn't take too long but
> when I compile large libraries or applications this sometimes takes 4-5
> hours.
>
> An example is webkitgtk+ 1.1.3. I needed this to compile the latest
> version of midori. After a couple of hours of compilation, I paused the
> job using Ctrl-Z and suspended my laptop to RAM. The next morning, I
> resumed the laptop and typed 'fg' to resume the compile.

Why did you not leave it running overnight to finish the compilation?

> To my surprise, it worked fine and I was able to compile and install
> webkitgtk+ successfully.

That doesn't really surprise me.  As long as your laptop resumes from
suspend, this should never be a problem.

> Now, I am thinking of applying this to kernel compilation, etc. Is this
> common practice? Do others do this as well?

Well, if you're running "make" to build the software, you can even
terminate it and shutdown your computer, because make is designed to
continue where it left off.  At least if the Makefile isn't crap.

Sven