Re: hostname, dyndns and home network

T o n g:

> Anyone who has a home network and a dyndns account can share you
> arrangement with your box's hostnames? E.g.,
>
> - Do you use FQDN for all hosts? -- I found using a single name as
> hostname will cause problem for many application, sendmail, squid, etc.
>
> - Only one host can have a dyndns.org domain name, how do you set domain
> name for the rest of the boxes?

I have wasteland.homelinux.net as a publicly visible hostname and all my
hosts have hostnames below that, e.g. manowar.wasteland.homelinux.net.

> - I hope each box can send out emails directly, without local relaying.
> What's your arrangement?

That's (more or less) independent of your DNS setup. I advise against
direct delivery since if you are on dialup your mail will be rejected
(or worse: silently discarded) by many big mail hosts.

On my network, all machines relay mail to one central host that picks
the "real" relay depending on the sender (Postfix' "sender dependent
relay host" feature). Local mail is delivered locally to the appropriate
IMAP mailbox (my local relay acts as IMAP server as well).

J.
--
I am getting worse rather than better.
[Agree]   [Disagree]