Re: testing microphone - how?

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 18:21:43 T o n g wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:17:53 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> > . . . Mic Boost. If not set, the microphone will "not work"
> >
> >> under Linux. Anyone knows how to easily set it up?
> >
> > I just do:
> > $> alsamixer
>
> thanks.
>
> Any command line tool so that I can automate it without manual tweaking?

From a very helpful person on the KDE list:
> I have even resorted to Alsamixer and Alsamixergui, but they are worse
because
> I have no idea how to move along the settings in the first or operate the
> second, and no amount of Googling helps.

I'm writing this from memory but I thought that with alsamixer you
could move between the various channels using the left and right arrow
keys and move the volume of the selected channel up and down with the
up and down arrow keys.

Once you have made your modifications then you need to exit alsamixer
(esc key) and run alsactl store from the shell.

I've done it, and it seems to work.

HTH
Lisi