Possible bug in packaging

Hi,

I built and installed mercator from source, and then built and installed cyphesis (which has mercator as one of the dependencies), but on running cyphesis I got a linking error saying libmercator-0.2.so not found. However, installing mercator from the repos made this problem go away.

Now, cyphesis doesn't build unless it finds an installed copy of mercator, so this is not a problem with cyphesis. The fact that it is a runtime error suggests that it has something to do with the directory structure that debian uses for libraries.

I don't know how to file this bug, please advise

Thanks,
Amey