Re: Top posting vs Bottom posting

On Sunday 22 March 2009 17:18:44 Ron Johnson wrote:
> > The debate of top/bottom posting is much alike elbows on/off the table,
> > burp/not burp after a meal, etc,
>
> Hmmm.  Manners or No Manners; it's an easy choice.

No - the poster has a valid point.  Both the cases he cites are cases where
cultures do not agree on what is polite.

I am half English, half Hungarian Jewish.  When I visited my English relatives
I had to keep my hands on my lap.  Anything else produced strong reprimands.
When I visited my Hungarian relatives, my hands had to be above the table.
They didn't mind about _how_ I kept my hands above the table, just so long as
I did so.

There are, I know, cultures (e.g. Anglo-Saxon ones) that regard burping as
rude, and others where burping at the end of a meal is obligatory in order to
show your host that you are well fed.

The solution in both cases - manners and where you post - is surely: when in
Rome, do as the Romans do.

Lisi