Re: Copy data from a failed LVM drive

>>> I had a drive failure (SMART errors) on a drive with LVM. I've replaced the
>>> drive, but now need to copy the data from the old drive. How can I do this?
>>> Vgscan only shows the VG of the 'current' drive.
>> Are both drives connected?  If so, have you created different VGs on
>> each drive?
> Yes, both drives are connected and have different VGs.

Hmm... so they have different VGs but `vgscan' only shows one of
the two?
That's odd.  How are the drives connected?  What does "pvscan -vvv" say?

FWIW, here's how I'd ideally do the replacement:
1 - plug in the new drive.  Let's say it appears as /dev/sdb
2 - partition it with `fdisk' so I have 1 large partition /dev/sdb1.
3 - pvcreate /dev/sdb1
4 - vgextend VG /dev/sdb1 (where VG is your old volume group name)
5 - pvmove /dev/sda1 (where /dev/sda1 is the physical volume on the old drive)
6 - vgreduce VG /dev/sda1
7 - pvremove /dev/sda1
8 - remove old drive

        Stefan