Re: lvm on an external enclosure?

On Friday 20 March 2009 16:25:03 Ron Johnson wrote:
>On 2009-03-20 16:04, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> On Friday 20 March 2009 09:02:24 Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> 1. What kind of problems or issues might I have when trying to boot
>>> and lvm doesn't see a vg?  I'm guessing Linux will squawk and
>>> continue booting.
>> Probably won't even squawk.
>But won't there be references to the non-existent vg in /etc/lvm
>that Debian uses during boot?

They will simply be ignored.  /etc/lvm isn't like an /etc/raidtab or
/etc/inittab or /etc/fstab.  LVM doesn't really have a daemon component.  The
commands read /etc/lvm (or rather, files in that directory) when they are run
to adjust their behavior, but they ignore anything that's not applicable to
what they are currently doing.

Since the boot process doesn't perform operations on specific VGs, anything
affecting a VG that isn't found will be ignored.  (IIRC, the initrd does
active a VG by name, but that's only when the root= option on the kernel
command-line refers to one directly.)