Re: confused about gcc-4.3 version in my system

shaul Karl wrote:
dpkg (dpkg -l gcc-4.3) reports that 4.3.3-3 is installed.
The latest entry in /var/log/apt/term reports 4:4.3.3-2 was set up.
Which version do I have?
To add to my confusion, I seem to remember that the head of
/usr/share/doc/gcc-4.3/changelog.Debian.gz pointed to
4.3.3-3 before the mentioned entry in var/log/apt/term.
How can it be?

If you are running squeeze or sid, you may have a mixture of files from slightly different versions. Don't worry, usually, there is no problem. Occasionally, you will catch sid in the middle of a transition or update from one ABI to a newer one, and you will need to either downgrade back to a consistent set of packages, or be patient and wait for the maintainers to finish the transition, which may take a few days. The version of gcc you are actually using is

#gcc --version

Make sure the libc and other libraries and headers are consistent before building something complicated like the kernel.

Debian has a sort of rule about ABIs. There can be two named "versions for the same package. For example, a kernel might be 2.6.xx-1 and 2.6.xx-6 at the same time, a little confusing. The -1 is the ABI, and if the ABI changes, it will be changed to -2 to reflect that there is a break in the binary compatibility. The -6 is a patch level, or point release, and reflects the 2.6.xx.yy version.

Hope This Helps,

Mark Allums