Re: mixer problem? Ekiga and skype calls together give audio errors

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:27:50 -0400
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Perhaps I am trying to do something that is not possible, though
> certainly it is inconvenient.
>
> If I try to make a call with ekiga when a skype call is active (and
> the other way around), I get an error saying there is a problem with
> a sound device. I was under the impression that the mixer takes care
> of such simultaneous use of audio devices. Other applications seems
> to work together without any problem. What am I doing wrong here? Is
> this even supposed to work?

The mixer just lets you adjust sound levels for different hardware
audio inputs and outputs.  All program input is one hardware input
(PCM).

To mix software input/output you need a sound server like esound
(deprecated) or pulseaudio (new, shiny, still has some bugs) and then
to configure all software to use the sound server instead of alsa/oss
directly.

If you look on the pulseaudio wiki you can see how to configure alsa to
autmatically use pulse, so you don't need to manually configure each
program that uses alsa to use pulse (though if a program has a pulse
output module (or esound, pulse does esound too) available it is
recommended to use that).

Regards,

Daniel

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore