Re: Delete 4 million files

kj wrote:
Hi guys,

This might seem like a stupid question, but I'm hoping there's a better way.

I discovered a Maildir on my server with 4+ million mails in. The result of a cronjob that runs every minute - this has been fixed.

Now, I've been running the usual find . -type f -exec rm {} \;
but this is going at about 700,000 per day. Would simply doing an rm -rf on the Maildir be quicker? Or is there a better way?

I'm pretty sure that deleting the entire directory with "rm -rf" should be a lot faster.

    - Dave

--

Dave Parker
Utica College