Re: weird problem in X with recent sid packages

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:34:14 -0400, charlie derr wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 20:56:03 -0400, charlie derr wrote:
>>> I have a machine that's quite old and underpowered that I've been
>>> running as Debian unstable for several years.  A week or so ago,
>>> after upgrading a bunch of packages (including lots of xserver-xorg*
>>> and the kernel) I found that my keystrokes were not being properly
>>> registered (but only in X -- the command line and remote SSH sessions
>>> work fine).  Basically I found that on the gdm login screen when I
>>> hit a key nothing would happen, but the second time I hit it, the
>>> character would be rendered on my screen.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> awk '/Section "InputDevice"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> ni@dibble:~$ awk '/Section "InputDevice"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>         Driver      "keyboard"
>         Option      "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
>         Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
>         Option "XkbLayout" "us"
>
> EndSection

[...]

Try to change the above section (and restart gdm):

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "CoreKeyboard"
        Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

The "keyboard" driver has been superseded by "kdb" for a while; see the
remarks in /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-kbd/NEWS.Debian.gz. The
"xfree86" rules still exist as a legacy symlink, but it cannot hurt to
update the XkbRules line to "xorg" when you are editing the
configuration anyway.

If the new configuration does not solve your problem then I would like
to see the output of this command:

dpkg -l xkb\* x11-\* xserver-xorg-input\* libx11\* | awk '/^i/{print $1,$2,$3}'

          Florian   |