Re: Problem with upgrading libc6

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 05:10:43PM -0700, NFN Smith wrote:

> As long as I don't reboot the server, backing out of the problem is
> doable -- all I have to do is revert to the previous libc6, using:
>
>   aptitude -t oldstable install libc6
>
> and things are back to where they were.

That's unix for you; any apps that were accessing the old libc6 will
still be accessing the old libs.

> Thus, since the upgrade we wanted wasn't essential, we decided to not
> bother with it then.  However, we're now to the point where we need to
> get the machine upgraded to lenny, so we need to figure out a way around
> the problem.

What exactly is the problem that you're trying to avoid, i.e. what is
preventing you from doing a simple upgrade per the release notes?

> I need to do some checking, but removal of libc6-dev (and possibly other
> -dev packages) before attempting an upgrade seems to have merit.

For the sake of a hard drive, why not install Lenny to a new drive (e.g.
with debootstrap) while still running your old version.  You can run
lenny software with schroot, including getting your new custom stuff
tested out while the old system is still up.  Install the Lenny kernel
on the new drive, add an entry to grub on the old drive, so that when
you are able to take the system off-line, you can do a trial reboot.
When running Lenny, you can run the old system with schroot and not lose
much downtime (just a reboot).  Overall, it gives you a nice transistion
box.  When you get everything tweaked out on Lenny (including booting
from the new drive), you can remove the old drive.

If you really want to use the old drive (e.g. you used a removable USB
drive for Lenny), you can move things over with tar or something and
just rebuild the initrd (dpkg-reconfigure the kernel).

Good luck.

Doug.