Re: Kernel issues: booting from USB storage (Repost)

Quoth green at 2009-03-14 03:28...
If the stock Debian kernel works, have you tried using that config for your kernel?
This is something that I have avoided as I have read in various places that there are often incompatible changes between minor versions (like from 2.6.18 to 2.6.24). This also borks configuration using make menuconfig as new features simply aren't there. In my specific case the THINKPAD_ACPI that I need (due to the fan control issues) goes back to the older, less-featured IBM_ACPI in 2.6.18.n, which is why I can't use the stock kernel. (At least can only use it until machine gets red hot ;-)

I will copy .config between the very minor versions (or whatever the correct term is) but otherwise go through the laborious process of having make menuconfig open in two windows copying item by item.

Note to kernel devs: please consider a more structured development process so that upgrades are SIMPLE. Honestly, it's enough to drive a man to OpenSolaris ;-)

Also, you may want to try using the Debian linux-image-2.6.24 package¹. I think it corresponds to 2.6.24.7, so if it works you should be able to install linux-source-2.6.24², patch that source with the realtime patches, and then use make-kpkg in the kernel-package package to build it. Then you can work with your config until you get it how you want it.

Aha! Now that sounds like a plan. The Debian kernel stuff is just sufficiently different from what I'm used to that I haven't figured it all out. I probably should have just said "I want an official Debian 2.6.24.7 package to which I can add my own config." Thanks for giving me the potential solution I was really looking for!

I'll give that a try in a couple of days, when I have the time, and report back. Many thanks again for this tip - I feel like I'm headed somewhere at last.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business:      http://www.smiffytech.com/
Blog/personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/