hanging Apache2 processes

Hi,

I have upgraded to Lenny and Apache2.  I am getting hanging apache
process and I would like to learn how to diagnose the situation.

Here is a queer thing that happened today: I enabled mod_status and
installed links.  Now when I issue the command:
  links http://localhost/server-status?refresh=5
I always mod_status page hangs: the mode of operation (M) for the
request is always "W" and the page never refreshes!

How to understand that?

Otherwise, I'm suspecting PerlMagick on the basis of error messages:
PerlMagick: unable to initialize module loader `Inappropriate ioctl for
device'

and the many hung pages that PerlMagick generates.  It's the same code
that ran fine (if inefficiently) forever.

Any experiences/ideas on this?

Thanks.

Mark