Re: running X without desktop

Daniel Lannstrom wrote:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:57:43PM +0100, Dirk Vervoort wrote:

Hi All,

How far can I go on a remote pc with only 96 Mb,

- Can I run X on a remote pc 192.168.1.2 without a desktop and export a
display like DISPLAY=192.168.1.5  to my client pc were I run xhost +
192.168.1.2.
- Is there a very small kernel available or  should I compile one myself
( never did it  )
- Can I run vlc without frontend interface but with only a remote web
interface ?

At this moment this works fine:   JWM-desktop + VLC and its web
interface + telnetd

Not secure ?, no problem it is local after a router.

Thanks,

Sending VLC's video output to a remote X11 server will not be fast (even
on a LAN). In this case I think it would be better to use VLC build-in
streaming capabilities.

>> The VLC input:streaming internet, Output: audio-card-> audio-system
What I would like to achieve is search on the internet for a stream via a browser ( but the DISPLAY is send to my local pc [xhost] )
 and play the selected sream on the remote VLC player ( option: while opening a stream [ save or play ?]  > play)