Re: module blacklisting not working

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 07:50:57PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> Blacklisting a module does not override an explicit loading of it (a
> direct modprobe, rather than a modprobe of an alias of it). Is there a
> script that runs, e.g. 'modprobe kvm'? Or that modprobes something one
> of those modules depend on?

Yes indeed. Turns out that the kvm package is installed, and that this
places a startup script into init.d. Since I typically use VirtualBox
(which will not run with kvm loaded) rather than some of the other
virtualizers that rely on kvm, I'm going to try removing the package.

If I need it again in the future, I'll just add:

    modprobe -r kvm-intel kvm

to /etc/rc.local to remove it except when I want to load it manually.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"