Re: Ext3 for flash drive

Masatran / Deepak, R.:

> Recently, I re-partitioned my flash drive. I made one FAT32 partition, and
> one Ext3 partition.

Is ext3 on a flash medium really a good idea? At least cheap flash
drives probably don't have smart wear levelling.

> The problem is that when I transfer files from my laptop
> to my work computer, the UIDs on the Ext3 partition are used for the
> permissions, so I am not able to access the data. How can I fix this?

You can't unless the UIDs on both systems are equal. As far as I know,
all filesystems with UNIX-style permissions only store UIDs, not
usernames.

J.
--
If politics is the blind leading the blind, entertainment is the fucked-
up leading the hypnotised.