etch -> lenny, update-initramfs interrupts dpkg

Hi,

Updating from etch to lenny following release notes.

"aptitude upgrade" ends with

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18
/usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: line 164: mktemp: command not found
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18
dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
to correct the problem.

but running dpkg --configure -a results in the sam error.

Besides it's strange that mktem should not be installed already, but

aptitude show mktemp

says, no, it's not installed.  But if I do try to install it:

deneb:~# apt-get install mktemp
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
to correct the problem.

So it seems I'm stuck in a vicious circle.

Can this circle be broken?

Mark