gecko is a good method for developing desktop software, right?

I'm thinking about the methods of developing cross platform desktop
software those days, I think the advantage of gecko is that it
seperates layout, styles and event response information(code), which
is a correct direction for software development, as I saw this
direction in web development. Other methods(gtk, qt, wx) may still
stay at the traditional stage, which mix layout information with event
response code. Am I right? what's your opinion about the direction of
desktop software development? thanks