Re: what's the difference and superior between gtk+ and gecko?

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 13:49, Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:04:28 +0800
> Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I want to develop a cross-platform desktop software by open source
>> platform and develop tools. I'm also a web developer so I'm interested
>> in gecko, and know that gecko is also able to build desktop
>> applications by XUL, not only display html files. But it seems gtk+ is
>> the more normal way to develop desktop applications, then what's the
>> superior of the two methods? thanks.
>>

> gtk+ is not ideal for cross platform because unless things changes it's not in
> great shape under windows.

It does seem a bit harder to do cross-platform with GTK than with QT, but it
is certainly doable.

<snip>

> There is also qt, if things haven't changes it has either a gpl lisence that
> you don't pay for or a commercial license if you want to sell the software.

QT is now tri-licensed: Commercial, GPL (v3), LGPL (v2.1, allows GPLv2)

http://www.qtsoftware.com/about/licensing

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers