trouble prestarting the etch->lenny upgrade.

{1} The release notes did not say to run

aptitude install debian-archive-keyring

but it was necessary to avoid obnoxious warnings.  It perhaps should.

(2) The release notes said to ask aptitude to report on the amount of
storage needed by running

aptitude -y -s -t --with-recommends dist-upgrade

When I did that, it ran a very long time (at lest twenty minutes,
probably over an hour, judging what I had time to do while waiting),
producing a huge stream of in-progress messages, ending with many copies
of

open: 416367; closed: 298473; defer: 0; conflict: 12
open: 416367; closed: 298473; defer: 0; conflict: 12
open: 416367; closed: 298473; defer: 0; conflict: 12

The only output indicating trouble was the following list of broken
packages.

The following packages are BROKEN:
  cups cups-bsd cupsys-bsd cupsys-pt dillo firefox fvwm-gnome ghostscript
  libft-perl libglade-gnome0 libglade0 liborbit0 liborbit0ldbl libsasl2
  multi-gnome-terminal xmms

followed by large lists of packages to be removed, upgraded, and so
forth, and then the huge was of in-progress messages.

Now I am inclined to ignore this behaviour and proceed with the
installation.  The next step, assumming there's enough space, is to
upgrade apt and/or aptitide.

Any comments?  Is this a know bug in etch's aptitude?  Or is my
configuration wholly screwed up.

-- hendrik