Re: restarting a locked X server

tyler schreef:
Hi,

My xserver crashed this morning, due apparently to some known bugs in
the intel video drivers. However, after the crash I couldn't restart X
from the command line, and had to reboot to get everything back working
again. There must be someway to clean up after X crashes without
rebooting? I've pasted the output of one of my failed attempts to invoke
startx without rebooting, any suggestions on how I can force a clean
start of X would be welcome!

You probably want to kill -9 the window manager or a Xorg process or so. Just restarting the server will not help.

Also, from inside X, you can press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart the server. I'm not sure if that works when the X server is locked, though.

Sjors