Re: logging writes to disk (keeping disk from spinning down)

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 01:41:38 -0600

> On 02/28/2009 11:14 AM, green wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-02-28, 059, Bob Cox wrote:

> >> Which is for IDE drives and you are using SATA.  Ignore that suggestion
> >> then!
> >
> > I did notice that and so discounted it immediately, but why would ext3 need
> > to do a write to journal every 5 seconds anyway when _nothing_ is being
> > written to the filesystem?  In that case a write only makes sense when the
> > filesystem is unmounted.
> >
> > If something is in fact writing to the filesystem, then I need to find out
> > what.

You can abuse laptop mode and do
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump
and then look in the syslog I think. You may need to also enable laptop mode
for this to work (at least used to be the case)
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode