Re: spam control

On Sat, 2009-02-28, 059, Girish Kulkarni wrote:
> How is your experience with the spam control tools already available
> (SpamAssassin, SpanBouncer, Bogofilter)?  Which one is the most
> favoured?  Is Gmail indeed the best option for controlling spam?

I pull all mail from Gmail, including spam, using IMAP and getmail4.  Then I
deliver it to Postfix running locally which looks at ~/.forward and sees
"| spamc | procmail".  So spamc (spamassassin) adds spam headers and procmail
(I plan to switch to maildrop eventually) does some filtering (no spam
filtering there).  I have left all the important spamassassin settings (like
required_score) at the defaults.

I am inclined to measure spam-filtering success by the number of
false-positives (heh, the ultimate spam filter filters nothing...!).  If I
remember correctly, Gmail has had at 3-8 false positive while SpamAssassin has
had 1-2 false positives.  If I take out mailing list messages, it drops to 1-2
and 1 respectively.  I suppose that more mail has gone through SpamAssassin now
than did Gmail when I was using it instead.

I do get a few false-negatives daily but not more than maybe 6; I don't
remember how many with Gmail but I know I did get some.

Of course it is relevent how much mail I get in a day: I am subscribed to
several mailing lists with debian-user being the highest traffic.