Re: package management begins to annoy me

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 05:24:19PM -0600, "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> was heard to say:
> On Thursday 26 February 2009 15:20:58 Urs Thuermann wrote:
> >    which caused aptitude to run for an hour generating thousands of
> >    messages about resolving open/closed/defered dependency conflicts
> >    and then giving up.  I was only able to upgrade package for package
> >    explicitly for a couple dozen packages, then safe-upgrade worked
> >    again.
>
> Yes, testing might receive thousands of updates during this time, so
> aptitude make have to work very hard to determine new dependencies.  Also,
> safe-upgrade intentionally avoids removing packages, even if they've been
> replaced by another package, and the conflicts may add up.

  safe-upgrade has always been like the proverbial dancing bear -- it's
a hack built on top of aptitude's resolver, and it's amazing that it
works at all, let alone as well as it does.  One of the things that I'm
working on right now is building some ideas from safe-upgrade directly
into the resolver, and also implementing a few other overdue
optimizations that should accelerate the sorts of things safe-upgrade
does. (setting lots of manual constraints)

  Daniel